THE RIGHT DISHWASHER
How to choose the right dishwasher
There are many things to consider when choosing a dishwasher; you want to consider its capacity, noise level, energy efficiency, cost, reviews and of course, its aesthetic.
If you don’t already own a dishwasher, and you’re wondering why it’s necessary to purchase one, the first answer to that question is efficiency. By adding a dishwasher to your home, you will be saving on heating and energy costs; you will not be using as many litres of water as you would, if you were to wash your dishes by hand under a running tap, you will also eliminate more germs, you will get a more hygienic clean using specially formulated dishwasher detergents, and ultimately, you will save yourself some much-deserved time.
When to purchase a new dishwasher
If you are wondering whether it’s time to purchase a new dishwasher, here are some signs to look out for:
- Over a period of time, you notice that your dishes are no longer coming out completely clean
- There are unusual water spots on your dishes and glassware. This could mean that the dishwasher’s spray arms are not working properly. If this were the case, you may want to compare the costs of a service appointment and replacement parts, with the cost of purchasing a new dishwasher. Tip: Consider the age of your dishwasher and if it still has an existing warranty
- The pump or motor is beginning to make strange noises
- The water pressure and temperature have lowered
- Water seems to be leaking onto the floor
- The door or latch has warped
- The appearance of rust or cracks has begun
- It doesn’t turn on properly, or shuts off on its own
- Your dishwasher is eight years or older—it may be time to look for newer models which offer better features like auto-programmed starts, delay timers, reduced noise, quick wash, and higher energy efficiency, which can save you money in the long run
When looking for the best model and brand of dishwasher, you want to pay attention to cost, but you also want to look at the features, quality, and brand guarantee that works best for you. European appliances such as AEG, SMEG, , and Gorenje offer sustainable, energy efficient dishwashers on the forefront of innovation, style and luxury.
Most dishwashers in the market come in two sizes: 18” and 24”. How to best choose the right dishwasher size is to consider how many people live in the home that the appliance is being purchased for. An 18” dishwasher is a good size for 2 – 3 people and can typically hold between 6 – 8 place settings. A 24” dishwasher is known as “family sized,” and can typically hold between 12 – 14 place settings.
Most newer European dishwasher models come with adjustable racks and tines, which allow for a larger capacity opportunity. Advanced models, such as Gorenje’s GV66260UK Fully integrated stainless steel dishwasher comes with a third basket, which allows for a 16 place setting capacity. If a greater capacity is not what you’re looking form, SMEG offers space saving models that can fit into smaller settings, for those who don’t require a large load capacity.
Innovations in technology for making more energy efficient appliances are in constant advancement. When determining how to choose the right dishwasher, you’ll want to guarantee that the money you will be saving on energy costs will ultimately cover the cost of the new washer in the long run; much of this depends on the capacity of dishwasher you are looking to get.
Due to the high demand for more greener technology in the home, appliance companies are making it well-known that their products are efficient. You can determine the efficiency of a dishwasher in two ways: 1. The ENERGY STAR branding which determines that the appliance will use 12% less energy. 2. The A-A+++ rating system. The A-A+++ rating system is used by most European companies and each rating will determine the percentage of energy savings.
Programs and Different Functions
Innovation in home appliances has allowed for the creation of some truly spectacular features to make every-day household chores easier on your mind, budget (and back).
Typical features you can find in new European dishwasher models:
- Stainless Steel Tub: a stainless steel tub is more durable than a plastic tub and resists corrosion. It can withstand more heat allowing for higher water temperatures, as well as retains heat better which increases the efficiency of the drying cycle meaning it’ll be more cost efficient in the long run.
- Quick Wash: a 15-minute wash cycle
- Delay Start: you can manually set the cycle to begin at certain points in the day/night. Most choose to set their dishwasher to wash overnight as it is often cheaper to do it at this time (increase in cost efficiency)
- Garburator/Hard Food Disposal: this feature is good for those who don’t want to scrape, pre-wash or rinse. This feature is built-in the unit to eliminate food residue and grime. Some have self-cleaning filters, but some have filters that need to be removed and cleaned manually, so be sure to check reviews and spec details when deciding on this feature!
- Enhanced + Standard Cycles: Most dishwashers come with standard cycles such as: light, regular, pots and pans, etc., but newer models now have additional features such as: glass and stemware, rinse, quick wash, pot scrub, sanitize wash, etc. They often add to the cost of the appliance, but are very convenient and some may be necessary for you and your home
- 3-tier: Reviews for dishwasher models with 3-tiers show that this design ensures better coverage and offers proper washing of all items
- Quiet Package: No more noisy dishwashers keeping you up through the night. Many newer, best rated European appliances have a “Quiet” feature which eliminates the noise and will help mum and baby sleep through the night
- Electronic dirt sensors: these are nice to have because the appliance will ensure that the proper amount of soap is uses to determine the level of cleanliness required
- Child safety lock: This is an important feature for households with small children
- Adjustable/Removable tines, shelves, racks: this feature allows you to accommodate tall glasses, stemware or oddly shaped items, and can often increase the capacity of the model
- Drying functions: Some of the best rated European appliances now come with a new drying function—the automatic door will open a couple of inches after the cycle is complete to release extra steam and allow for quicker drying; increasing the dishwasher’s efficiency as well
Depending on your budget, the best way to decide how to choose the right dishwasher based on price is to shop around; talk to the appliance team experts at different European appliance stores, read reviews and check out the websites of best rated European appliance sellers AEG, Porter&Charles, Gorenje and SMEG, which allow you to compare the prices and features of different models to determine which will work best for you and your budget. You’ll often have to consider which features you need, which you can splurge on and which you can live without, to determine the ideal price-range for your new dishwasher.
Typical Price Ranges for European Brand Dishwashers
Best Budget: $820 – $1200
Best Luxury: $1890 – $2300
Best Overall: $1500 – $1730
Tip: European Appliances do go on sale from time to time, so it’s best to do your research and get in contact with retailers to find out about any upcoming sales. You can also check out Euro-Line Appliances’ website for upcoming promotional offers and sales.
- Iontech: uses process of ionization to naturally eliminate odors that can spread when dishwasher left open
- Smartflex: offers enough space for up to 16 place settings, has 3 baskets and a fully flexible interior
- TotalDry: after washing cycle is complete, the door will automatically open slightly to let out steam and allow fresh air in to dry dishes (energy efficiency)
- AutoProgramme: advanced sensor technology will adjust dishwashing program to clean dishes perfectly with optimized water and energy consumptions; adapts to all needs
- SmartControl: LED displays and touch control
- SpeedWash: clean dishes between courses and have them done in 20 minutes, just in time for dessert
- SuperSilent: comparable to a whispering conversation between 2 people; special sound insulation, efficient motors, high quality materials combine to make an innovative solution
- 6.9L Water Consumption: *found in their more advanced models—equipped with a special water tank that reduces water consumption to only 6.9L per cycle
- A+++: 10% lower energy consumption—Gorenje dishwashers combine perfect cleaning and drying with low energy consumption
- Inverter PowerDrive: increases performance, allows for quieter functions, low energy consumption and ultimately a longer lifespan of the appliance
- XXL inox: one of the largest stainless steel tubs on the market
- GV66260UK Fully integrated dishwasher stainless steel: A+++ energy class, 16 place setting capacity, 3 baskets, TotalDry, AutoProgramme, SpeedWash, SmartFlex and more! Price: £659.00
- GV64160UK Fully integrated dishwasher: A++ energy class, 13 place setting capacity, 2 baskets, SpeedWash, TotalDry, SmartFlex, Adjustable Baskets, AutoProgramme, XXL inox and more! Price: £449.00
- Eco Sensor Monitors: automatically adjust time, temperature and water usage according to soil level of each ____
- Satellite Spray Arm: innovation that ensures every corner of the machine and every inch of the items inside are reached
- Comfortlift: first dishwasher in the world that lets you gently slide and life the lower basket upwards, raising it to a convenient working height
- A++: 11% more efficient than an A class, customized cycles and complete cleaning, corner to corner, cuts cycle time in half
- Delicate protection for glasses: protect your stemware on a delicate cycle
- Delay-start: set a time (morning, afternoon, overnight) for the dishwasher to begin a cycle
- Rinse dishes when dishwasher not yet full: a pre-rinse done by the appliance so you don’t have to
- Automatic drying: after washing cycle is complete, the door will automatically open slightly to let out steam and allow fresh air in to dry dishes (energy efficiency)
- FAVORIT F89088VI-S 24” fully integrated tall tub dishwasher: custom panel available to blend in with cabinetry, top controls, 12 place setting capacity, delay-start, adjustable upper rack, foldable tines, half load option, Eco Sensor monitors, ENERGY STAR rated, and more! Price: $1,599.00
- FAVORIT F65488 VI-S 18” fully integrated dishwasher: custom panel available to blend in with cabinetry, 8 place setting capacity, shuttle system due to rectangular size, stainless steel interior, near silent operation, top controls, delay-start, Eco Sensor monitors, ENERGY STAR rated, and more! Price: $1,399.00
- LED Display: remaining time, delay time, temperature, fill rinse aid, on/off, service code
- Flow-meter water sensor
- Foldable bottom tines
- Residual drying system
- Delay Time: 1-24 hrs
- Near Silent Technology
- 7-10 programs
- ENERGY STAR rating
- Fuzzy Logic: intelligent sensor technology that automatically adjusts the settings to suit items in cycle
- DW4SS 24” Integrated Stainless Steel Compact Dishwasher: 4 place setting capacity, stainless steel interior, near silent operation, delay timer, 7 programs, fuzzy logic, anti-flood device, and more! Price: $949.99
- DWTPC10SS 24” Built-In Stainless Steel Dishwasher: 12 place setting capacity, 10 programs, top control, 3-way Euro-filtering system, adjustable upper rack, foldable place supports, delay timer, and more! Price: $1749.99
- Orbital Shuttle Wash Systems: guarantee optimal water distribution in all dishwashers
- A-A+++ energy efficiency class
- Aquastop Technology: detects leaks in the hose and switches off the water supply immediately to prevent flood damage
- Coloured models: matching their retro style products (available in lime green, pastel blue, pink, red, and orange)
- Horizontal models: ideal for suspended or fitted kitchens
- Maxi Height Models: ideal for higher than normal worktops
- Automatic Doors: designed to complement other handle-free kitchen appliances
- Space saving: ideal for those who don’t require a large load capacity
- Free standing or Built-in models
- STA13XL2 24” Built-in stainless steel dishwasher: 13 place setting capacity, A+++ energy efficiency class, ECO Quick wash, stainless steel interior and exterior, orbital washing system and more! Price: 1.482,00 €
- LVFABPB 24” 50’s style free-standing dishwasher: 13 place setting capacity, A+++ energy efficiency class, pastel blue (other colour options available), stainless steel insert on upper and lower basket, double foldable rack, delayed start, Aquastop, and more! Price: 1.533,60 €
Best rated European dishwashers can be costly, but what’s important to remember is that the advanced technology, innovative solutions and energy efficient options supplied can end up saving you money in the long-run. When deciding how to choose the right dishwasher, remember that reviews, research and talking to the experts, are the best ways to find out which dishwasher is right for you.