Four Ways to Bake Salmon
The best fish in any health diet is salmon but knowing how to bake salmon, at what temperature or for how long are the key reasons some people avoid even the most basic salmon recipes. Whether you are trying out a new recipe for salmon cakes or patties or popping an easy, quick fish fillet into your oven, we have got you covered. And speaking of covered, any fish will be improved with a simple salad dressing or marinade drizzled over it, any dry seasoning flavour can be sprinkled on, rubbed in and baked. Fantastic fish can be this simple.
Baking Versus Frying Salmon
Fish is rich in Omega 3 fats which are heart protective and also show evidence in brain health and in reducing inflammation. The culinary advantages of eating fish are:
- Salmon is a quick cooking protein which makes it perfect for weeknight meals
- Fish is cholesterol free
- High omega 3 , fish based diets have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels
- Most other animal proteins you purchase hold extra water which means that there is shrinkage of the final cooked product as the water evaporates. Fish cooks at almost exactly the weight it was purchased cold
- Fish doesn’t need to be marinated for a long time to enhance flavour, a quick rub or marinade is all that is needed to enhance flavour
- The #1 way to eat fish in Canada is battered and deep fried but baking is a much healthier option and it can provide the same crispy crusted taste when baked in the oven.
There are other features of a steam oven that are often overlooked but they can save you time and improve your cooking.
- Steam ovens are easy to clean since the moisture prevents foods from baking on (true?)
- Reheating leftovers is better with steam as foods are reheated evenly and kept moist so that they do not dry out.
- Canning and bottling is easier and safer in a steam oven since there is no dangerous boiling water to contend with. Steam is actually hotter than boiling water so jars and bottles are sterilized in one step in the oven.
- Recipes that require blanching are a specialty feature that works even better in a steam oven. Blanching softens cell walls before freezing which helps to preserve both the colour and nutrients of fruits and vegetables. Steam blanching in a steam oven is faster and more convenient than using boiled water because three large sheet trays can hold more than boiling in batches on the stovetop.
- Frozen foods can be defrosted quickly and safely using steam in the steam oven. This system is faster than in the fridge, safer than on the countertop and more even than in the microwave.
- Professional cooks often steam foods before juicing to release more juice.
Pan frying fish is fine but it does introduce more unhealthy oil to your diet so baking is the better way to go. For most of us, time is at a premium and the ability to bake rather than stand at the cooktop to watch and flip is the best bet. Baking allows you to walk away from the kitchen or do other things while your healthy, easy, fast one dish dinner bakes in under 30 minutes.
A Few Fish Baking Recipe Ideas:
Super Simple Salmon Recipe
Purchase salmon fillets in 5-7 ounce slices and place them into a lasagna or similar type baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F or 325F convection setting. Rub a large lasagna type baking dish with butter and add 1-2 Tablespoons of any dry seasoning mix. Rub salmon fillets into dry rub on both sides and lay skin side down in casserole dish. Try lemon pepper, garlic and thyme, jerk or Italian seasoning and each time you make this dish, it is a new taste experience.
Bake uncovered (making sure there is space between each fillet) for 10-12 minutes per inch of thickness at the thickest part of the flesh.
5 Easy 5 Ingredient Salmon Recipes
Preheat oven to 350F or 325F Convection. Place 4 salmon fillets that are sliced into 5-7 ounce slices into a large bowl and toss with any of the following combinations:
- ½ lemon squeezed + 1 tablespoon honey mustard + 1 teaspoon dried thyme + pepper
- Melt together 1 tablespoon butter + 1 Tablespoon maple syrup + pinch dried red pepper
- Mix together 1 tablespoon soy sauce + 1 teaspoon sesame oil + 1 teaspoon grated ginger + pepper
- Mix together 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon mint + ½ teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Mix together ½ cup plain greek yogurt + ½ cup salsa + ½ cup grated parmesan + 1 teaspoon oregano
Place salmon into large buttered baking dish, spoon any extra topping over salmon and bake uncovered for 30 minutes until bubbling and cooked thoroughly.
Dijon Salmon Recipe
Try this delicious, simple, basic recipe using the panty staple, Dijon mustard, and one dish. It really is easy to make a tasty, juicy salmon dinner with sauce in a few simple steps.
Purchase salmon fillets in 5-7 ounce slices and place them into a lasagna or similar type baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F or 325F Convection setting. Mix together equal parts Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil and honey or maple syrup. Add in enough vegetable or chicken broth to create a thin sauce and pour over salmon. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through and is flaky when poked with a fork.
Parmesan Salmon Recipe
It is easy to create a baked salmon dish that is crusted and crispy in a few simple steps.
Place salmon fillets cut in 5-7 ounce slices and place them into a buttered lasagna or similar type baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F or 325F Convection setting.
Mix together grated parmesan, cornmeal, salt and pepper and press into each fillet.
Pour melted butter over top and bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy on the outside but flaky on the inside. Squeeze with lemon just before serving.
The best brands of steam oven, like AEG, have years of science and technology behind them and really do make a difference in your cooking results. Steam ovens are the top of the line oven of choice on the market. The technology of an AEG steam oven has been the choice of home and professional cooks in Europe for decades. The design features, reliability and ease of use are what keeps AEG appliances on the list of top kitchen appliances.